To Provide and Promote Advocacy, Assistance and Education to Persons With Kidney Disease and Their Families.
The Kidney Foundation of Medina County, Inc. – Who Are We?
There are no documents available regarding the Foundation’s early history. However, an old bank book (with a whopping balance of $25.00!) indicates 1965 as a possible date of origin for the Foundation. The Kidney Foundation of Medina County (KFMC) was a chapter of the Kidney Foundation of Ohio, Inc. until July 2002. The KFMC Board of Trustees elected to disassociate itself from its parent because of differing opinions on how funds were spent.
The KFMC is now an independent entity serving all of Medina County. Our small (~ $100,000) budget comes from private gifts including Memorial Tributes, small grants, and our Special Events. Though housed in a small office in a County Building, it receives no tax dollars.
The fun little “kidney guy” used in the Foundation’s Special Events was created by Mr. Jim Redden (1949 – 2006). Read more about Jim here…
Fact Sheet 2009
The Foundation invested $25,219.81 for the benefit of 116 Renal Patients residing in Medina County.
The Foundation provided reimbursement for 1,409 round-trips to hemodialysis treatments. Ten cab rides were provided for individuals needing to travel out of the county for procedures. An additional 12 rides were provided for individuals whose schedules prevented them from taking the Medina County Public Transit. Over 1,419 Transit rides were provided.
- The Foundation provided 10,237 days worth of prescriptions for Medina County Residents, and assisted 6 individuals with the cost of insurance premiums (which then covered medications).
- The average monthly income per person for 2009 for individuals receiving medication and/or transportation assistance from the Kidney Foundation is $822.00.
- Forty-eight packets of information on kidney diseases were mailed free of charge to Medina County residents requesting them. Renal Cookbooks and other materials were loaned to 18 individuals.
- The Foundation’s special events raised $9,792 for Patient Assistance Programs. Five events are planned for 2010.
- Administrative percent reported on Form 990 was 6.11 percent.
- Private contributions and gifts (including non-cash gifts) received equaled $11,462.90 (including $3.095 in Memorial Tributes). The Foundation is grateful for this generous support.
- The Foundation Received Grants and Significant Donations in 2009 from the following:
Mrs. Esther Bloch in memory of Mr. Oscar Bloch
Ms. Jacquelyn Brown
Ceryl & Gerald Cole
Dr. & Mrs. Delbert E. Craner in memory of Donald & Elsie Craner
Mr. Matthew J. Davis
Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie # 3505 (Brunswick)
Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie # 3505 Auxiliary (Brunswick)
Bob & Elaine Gecking
Don & Paula Henderson
Mark & Jean Holland
Lund Loni Circle of King’s Daughters & Sons
Medina County Community Fund
North Court Beverage
Primitive Keepings, LLC
Rodeway Workers’ Training
Willard Stephenson Foundation
Bruce & Robyn Tate in memory of Mrs. Dorothy Motznik
- The Board of Trustees continues to address its “Strategic Plan” to address the Foundation’s future needs and direction. In October 2007, an Endowment Fund was established through the Medina County Community Fund (a part of the Akron Community Foundation). The resources invested are restricted to paying for transportation and/or medications for Medina County Renal Patients.
- The Foundation participated in the Following Health/Information Fairs:
Brunswick Senior Information Fair (January)
Leadership Medina County Health & Human Services Day (January)
Black River’s 3rd Annual Health & Safety Fair (April)
Medina County Family-A-Fair (April)
Medina County Senior Day (May)
14th Annual Women’s Health Fair (September)
MTD Health Fair (October)
- The Foundation participated in the United Way Annual Meeting and Volunteer Recognition in March. The Foundation’s Volunteer of the Year was Pamela Whitt.
- The Foundation continues to be an active member of the Medina County Public Transit Consortium, and a Founding Partner of LEAVE A LEGACY® Summit-Portage-Medina.